Ground Beef and Potato Casserole
Our family is not big on casserole dishes. We stick with meat and vegetables cooked separately. However, when I stumbled upon this recipe I thought I'd give it a try. And believe it or not I was quite surprised to see all my children digging in and actually enjoying their food! Some even asked for seconds! That is a win in my book!
|1 pound ground beef||1 cream of chicken substitute*|
|1/2 onion, chopped||1/2 small onion, diced|
|2 garlic cloves, minced||1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons milk|
|3 potatoes, thinly sliced||1/4 cup plain greek yogurt|
|1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded||1/8 cup parmesan cheese|
|1/2 teaspoon garlic powder|
1. Cook ground beef with 1/2 onion until browned. Once cooked, add the minced garlic. Set aside.
2. Peel potatoes and slice thin. Place in pot and cook until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl mix together cream of chicken substitute, 1/2 onion, milk, yogurt, parmesan and garlic powder. Set aside.
4. Place the browned ground beef and potatoes in an 8x11 pan. Pour sauce on top and mix everything together. Bake covered with foil at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the sauce begins to bubble. Once the sauce is bubbling, remove pan from oven and top with shredded cheese. Bake for another 5-10 minutes until cheese melts. Serve hot!
Need Grass Fed Ground Beef? Get it here!
*Cream of Chicken Substitute:
|1 cup cold milk||1/2 teaspoon salt|
|2 Tablespoons cornstarch||1/4 teaspoon onion powder|
|1 1/2 Tablespoons butter||1/4 teaspoon garlic powder|
|1 teaspoon better than bouillon or 1 chicken bouillon square||1/8 teaspoon dried parsley|
1. Whisk together milk and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add butter, bouillon and seasonings.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Once boiling, simmer for 30 seconds. Use immediately.
*Use this recipe to replace 1 can of Cream of Chicken