Beef Stew Casserole
This beef stew casserole is a deliciously thick, hearty stew. It can be made with or without a pie crust on top, depending on what your family's preference is.
|6 tablespoons flour, divided||1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|1 1/2 teaspoon salt||1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning|
|1/2 teaspoon pepper||1/2 teaspoon dried basil|
|1 pound stew meat||1 bay leaf|
|2 tablespoons olive oil||2 cups potatoes, cooked and cubed|
|1/2 cup onions, chopped||1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced and cooked|
|2 garlic cloves, minced||2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced|
|2 1/4 cups water, divided||*optional - single pie crust|
- In a large bowl combine 3 T. flour, salt and pepper. Add beef and mix so beef is coated with flour.
- In a large skillet, sauté beef in olive oil until browned. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender. Add 1/4 cup water, stirring to scrape browned bits.
- Combine 1-1/2 cups water, tomato paste, Italian seasoning and basil. Stir into skillet. Add the bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Combine remaining flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into skillet. Bring to a boil and cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Discard bay leaf. Stir in potatoes, carrots and parsley. Transfer to a greased 2-qt baking dish.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
**Optional - Place pie crust over the filling. Cut slits in the top. Bake as you would until crust is golden brown.
Need some Grass-Fed Stew Meat? Get yours here!